The improvement to squash section are underway. The plans include boiler replacement with ambi-rads, glass back court 1, LED lighting and completely transforming the balcony area. There will be some court closures that will be kept to a minimum, with members updated via email and the whiteboard at the club.
The works will take place 21st February – 6th April and will cover the following:
- Removal of court 1&2 and court 5 boilers, to be replaced with ambi-rads on the courts which are more efficient and reliable. The current boilers are already very problematic and at the end of their lifetime.
- Finish the lighting programme where courts 2, 4 and 5 will be replaced with LEDs
- Court 1 will become a glass backed court
- Glass doors will be put on courts 2 and 3 (replacing the broken court 3 door!)
- Moving the stairs from behind courts 1/2 to behind courts 4/5
Entire balcony area to be transformed. Removal of wooden “bleachers”/stands on the balcony behind courts 3-5. Removal of wall on balcony between courts 4 and 5. All walls to be plaster-boarded and painted. Suspended ceiling with LED lighting, electrical work (ever noticed an excess of wires?). New carpeting throughout
As you can see this is a significant amount of work and will really transform the section. As you can guess this might result in some court closures. Due to the majority of work being completed during the day, we currently expect the following court closures in the evenings
- Court 1: 22nd February, 1st-12th March
- Court 2: 22nd-26th February (court will be without heating)
- Court 5: 28th February, 1st March
This means that some group sessions might be affected which will be communicated by email – it is only fair to split any reduced availability between group sessions and the courts that will have been left for member use.
The balcony area will be severely affected for viewing from 1st March – 7th April and will update you as we progress. This will of course affect accessing the on-site computers for booking courts (you’re logged in when you walk in the door). These will likely be moved and let you know the plan when we have one.
When (if) the works start, we will send a weekly email of the court/balcony closures for the next two weeks. Further a white A-board will be outside the squash section to ensure up to date is communicated to members
That’s an empty balcony…
A big open space is intended to be more inviting to members which will no longer be dark and dingy! But we don’t want this to be dead space. We can put a variety of items there – vending/coffee machines, tables and chairs, limited gym equipment are just a few things we could do. I definitely want some input here so if you see me about, let me know what you would like to see!